We want every Cartotecnica Moderna packaging to respect the Planet
UTMOST ATTENTION TO PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT: GREEN BY DESIGN
Aiming at maximum sustainability, we have established a strategic plan of interventions on existing products and on the development of new products, defining the guidelines for producing all types of packaging in a sustainable way and with completely recyclable properties: green by design. p>
Two classes of packaging based on environmental virtuosity are thus born, GREEN and GREEN+, an added value for the product and for the brand that offers it. In the last two years, we have migrated many models from conventional to GREEN or GREEN+. The goal is to increase the share of "converted" products by 20% over the next three years.
- we use recycled or FSC® certified (coming from ethical forest management) paper and cardboard: we use 100% FSC paper and 80% FSC cardboard (with the aim of reaching 92%) p>
- we limit the use of non-recyclable accessories and choose alternative materials for the finishes (for example paper handles that can be recycled, instead of polypropylene)
- we only use inks for printing water-based, with low environmental impact
- we only use glue of vegetable origin, with low environmental impact, to replace the vinyl glue
- we carry out the lamination with cellulose acetate, with a reduced environmental impact, instead of plastic derivatives
- we buy all the paper in Italy and we are gradually reducing the supply of accessories from abroad
- we select and monitor suppliers, to identify those more in line with our green objectives: we choose valuable partners, able to contribute to the creation of sustainable products with a positive social impact
SUSTAINABLE WASTE MANAGEMENT: THE RINASCIMENTO PROJECT
We optimize production, starting from product design, to minimize raw material waste as much as possible.
We have also looked for a virtuous solution with a view to circularity and in 2021 the Renaissance Project was born: transform cellulosic waste into recycled creative paper, to be used as raw material for packaging of the customers whose projects have created the excess paper.
Rinascimento joins our local projects: free kits that we donate to schools, for DIY projects.
INTERVENTIONS ON THE PRODUCTION SITE OF SOLOMEO, PERUGIA
We have carried out a series of interventions aimed at reducing the energy consumption of our production site:
- we use 100% electricity from renewable sources and only high quality LED lights latest generation with low consumption
- we have external blinds that increase the area and hours of shade, with the aim of lowering the temperature of the premises and reducing the use of air conditioning
- continuous evaluation and mapping of the machinery, to ensure that they always work in a condition of maximum energy efficiency
THE MODERNA PARK
Our factory enjoys half a hectare of greenery available to all those who work in the company: Moderna Park. Access is free and gives the opportunity to walk, jog or use exercise equipment, reducing stress, improving the living environment and perceived state of health.
More than 75 tall trees have been planted (exclusively native species and consistent with the landscape context) and 350 flowering and ornamental plants which are irrigated with a well, built specifically to avoid the use of water from the mains. Although it is not easy to calculate how much CO₂ is absorbed by each tree, statistics declare an average of 1 ton/year for every 6 adult trees.
THE INTEGRATED REPORT
To address sustainability, first of all a clear vision of the objectives and salient aspects on which to intervene is necessary. It is a path of change made in small steps, to be embraced with awareness and determination, which we have chosen to communicate by developing a voluntary annual document: the Integrated Report.
With a transparent approach, it provides an overall vision of the company's ability to create value responsibly, evaluating and monitoring strategic actions, resources and results. It is the story of thoughts, perspectives and choices, even before actions.
Reporting on sustainability is anything but a conclusive act: it is a push to look forward, to make decisions for the future, to identify the most correct practices to adopt.
Read the report HERE